Since I had a little more time than usual watching TV after my surgery last week, I was pretty much glued to the coverage of Michael Jackson’s death. I am a child of the ‘80s after all. He was such a mystery. Clearly there were some deep, dark things from his past and from his recent choices in life that led to a destructive path. It angered and saddened me at the same time.
And yet, as I watched video after video, I was reminded what an amazing musical artist he was. Thanks to VH1, I’ve now seen pretty much every video he made. And I’ve also realized how far the music video has come. Wow. Some of those give cheesiness a whole new meaning. I decided that I’m a fan of “the middle years” the most. Post-Jackson 5, but Pre-Crazy. My compilation of his greatest hits would be:
Rock With You
We Are The World
Billie Jan
Man In the Mirror
PYT
You Are Not Alone
Black or White
The Way You Make Me Feel
Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough
Shake Your Body
Thriller
ABC
Human Nature
The ones that could be destroyed forever would be The Girl Is Mine, Ben, Smooth Criminal, or Bad.
And yet, as I watched video after video, I was reminded what an amazing musical artist he was. Thanks to VH1, I’ve now seen pretty much every video he made. And I’ve also realized how far the music video has come. Wow. Some of those give cheesiness a whole new meaning. I decided that I’m a fan of “the middle years” the most. Post-Jackson 5, but Pre-Crazy. My compilation of his greatest hits would be:
Rock With You
We Are The World
Billie Jan
Man In the Mirror
PYT
You Are Not Alone
Black or White
The Way You Make Me Feel
Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough
Shake Your Body
Thriller
ABC
Human Nature
The ones that could be destroyed forever would be The Girl Is Mine, Ben, Smooth Criminal, or Bad.
And I did some digging around to find this little artifact:
At only 8 years old, I went to the Michael Jackson Victory Tour concert in 1984. Floor seats, 20th row, Texas Stadium. (If you know my parents, you know the concert was probably just as much for their enjoyment as for mine.) :) I wish I could say, I remember it being an unbelievable concert experience. But honestly, I don’t remember much of it at all. I was only 8! I do remember that Eddie Van Halen showed up for a surprise appearance, and I remember that I got burned by someone throwing a cigarette butt in the parking lot. I’m sure it was great, though.And this video will give you a trip down memory lane if you are any kind of fan of ‘80s music. The part that cracks me up the most (not including everyone’s hair, Latoya, or facial expressions of the singers) is as they’re singing the important lyrics about poverty and world hunger, the camera pans up to MJ’s sequins socks, glove, and blinged-out ensemble. Funny.
Despite all of that, you have to admit it to its coolness and the greatness that was Michael Jackson's music.

6 comments:
MJ ROCKS now & forever!
I love We are the World and 80's singers.
DId you see that other video he did where there was a bunch of people standing around waiting to film the a Michael video? They kept saying "where's Michael?" and at the end he is the one behind the camera. that one was a memory lane walk FO-SUre!
I'm not sure what is worse, you going to a MJ concert at age 8, or me, wearing that t-shirt (tied with a belt) on Halloween to be MJ at age 4ish??? Yikes!
Just watched (the whole) video. Wow. Did you see Dwight Schrute in the back row with glasses and a coat on???
Girl, I was at the same concert on the floor! We could have been right beside each other. I was the one with one glove on! Do you remember?
Hey, the concert was great, Kelly was so overwhelmed by the whole thing she seemed to be in shock during the whole concert, and Shannon, you looked adorable as MJ!
BTW, who is Dwight Schrute?
Michael was one month and one day younger than me ... makes me feel very sad that he is gone, since I essentially grew up with him. I went to the 1988 concert in Dallas, just him, not his brothers ... it was amazing, and the thing I remember the most besides how awesome he was in concert was the audience --- every age, race, and background you could imagine, all happily listening to and watching Michael Jackson do his thing. That was his magic.
Post a Comment