Saturday, September 23, 2006

John Madden & Pumpkins

The other day an NFL game was on TV. I realized that I have very warm and fuzzy feelings towards John Madden. Not the guy, but his voice. Don't know much about the guy at all, or if he's even a decent NFL commentator. But, I do know that his voice reminds me of football season, cooler weather, sweaters, pumpkins, and Thanksgiving. I bet he didn't know he could have that kind of effect on someone.

Today is the first day of my favorite time of the year. It is also the time of year that I wonder why I live in Texas. That's another post in itself. But, I'll pretend that we're actually going to experience a seasonal change. After all, going from 100 degrees to 80 degrees should count for something.

I am so ready for fall to be here. Or at least the very weak version of fall that us Texans call the fall. I love that feeling when the days are a little shorter and temperatures drop, all of the fall decorations are out, your feet get really cold when you wear your flip flops (remember I'm talking about TX), and La Madeleine has pumpkin pie as a featured dessert!

The kick-off is when the vendors start appearing on street corners with potted mums, pumpkins, and gourds for sale. I'm telling you, it makes me a little giddy. I will restrain a little longer this year, though. I think I bought the first potted mum from this one place last year on the first day he opened. Within a week the "woops-summer-is-back-temporarily" 95 degree day fried them all. I was very sad.

I'll start today by changing out and putting up my fall wreath on the front door! Ahhh, the simple pleasures in life. Now, let's get rid of the crazy heat and make room for some pumpkins!

No comments: