Friday, March 30, 2007

Q1 2007

Can you believe 2007 is almost 1/4 over? I thought I would go back to my New Year's Resolutions and do some follow-up on my progress (or lack of):

  • Read To Kill a Mockingbird (I never had to read this in school somehow?).

It took several tries to get going through the first couple of chapters, but I'm about halfway through now. I know it's a classic, but so far, I can't quite tell why it achieved classic status. I've still got another half to go.

  • Commit to at least 3 days a week of exercise.

This is the one I can brag on myself the most. Tate and I have taken good 20-30 minute walks just about every morning the past few weeks. I've really enjoyed it...except for being chased by a killer terrier the other day.

  • Stick to our budget.

We're still working on this one. The reality of my last paycheck in February obviously forced the issue. I'm sure the local Target has wondered what happened, because I have cut back considerably on my Target adventures. :(

  • Learn how to use my IPod.

I've nothing to report here. I really am computer-savvy, but for some reason, the IPod seems complicated to me. I know...dumb! But thanks to my sister for my birthday present, I've got an ITunes gift card to figure this whole thing out.

  • Savor, soak in, and enjoy the simple moments with Tate.

I've tried really hard to do this one. The first 2 months were much harder to do so than these last 2, when I finally awoke from the fog of life with a newborn. But, there have been some very sweet moments.

One of my favorites was a 4:00 a.m. feeding back in January. I was rocking him to sleep (yes, I broke the BabyWise rule!) and heard a light, scratchy noise on the window. From the glider, I opened up the blinds and saw a blanket of snow quietly coming down. It was such a special thing knowing that most people were asleep probably missing it, but my little baby and I got to enjoy such a peaceful sight.

  • Commit to quality time with Wade...including time with me, Wade, and Tate and time with just me and Wade.

I think we've done the best we can so far. We've had 2 date nights on our own and could probably use some more (hint, hint). Thankfully, Tate's been pretty portable, so we've still had some good dinners out while he slept and we talked.

  • Eat more fruits and vegetables.

Woops! Forgot about that one!

  • Keep my side of the closet organized.

Ummmm, that one too!

  • Don't nag about the things that don't matter.

I hope I've done OK on this one. I know I have tried to bite my tongue (even when keys were lost or food was left out in the kitchen). But it's difficult to judge progress as the one doing the nagging rather than the one being nagged to. I'll have to check with Wade on that one.

  • Walk in a Half-Marathon (this is a second half of the year resolution...post-baby recovery).

That's a Q3 and Q4 one. :)

  • Renew my faith daily.

The frequent feedings in the middle of the night and bouts of insomnia have helped this one, but there's always room for improvement.

Not too bad so far, but I've got a lot to get done in the next 9 months!

7 comments:

TulipGirl said...

*grin*

Yup, Babywise works best when you break the rules!

Sarah B said...

Way to look back and evaluate. I love fresh, new beginnings - this one is a new month and new quarter!

Brittyne Fitzgerald said...

Hey girl! I just saw your comment on our blog and found yours! It's great to reconnect! Sounds like you are doing great and enjoying life as mommy! I'll start reading now that I know you are out there!

Kent said...

Kelly-

I have read TKAM and seen the movie. Both are great but this is one example where I think the movie is better. Gregory Peck owns the role as Atticus.

Kent

Anonymous said...

Kelly-
I have to disagree with my husband. Gregory Peck IS excellent as Atticus, but there's nothing like reading the book. It was the first book I ever taught (when I was student teaching), so if you're dying to have a discussion about themes and literary devices, just let me know! :)
BTW, Tate is adorable. We'll be at VRCC in May, and we hope to see you all!
Jill

mcjacobsjournal said...

Good idea, Kelly, to go back and look at the good old resolutions. I'm afraid to do it, but I'm proud of you for doing it! (I think I was a little too optimistic for having time to do anything but feed a newborn! I'm sure you can relate!)

Anyway, I just got caught up on your blog, and LOVE LOVE LOVE the video of Tate. Man, that boy has the CUTEST smile!! Can't wait for him to meet Abby Kate someday....

Wade said...

I'm sure that a husband giving feedback on his wife's New Year's resolutions should consider himself standing on thin ice . . . point taken.

1. Killer terrier? It's a pomeranian!!! A hamster on steriods!!! A barky little fur ball!! Just flick it back across the street!!

2. Date nights. Again, point taken.

3. Nagging. Like I said, you only nag about the important things!

Love ya' Babe,

W