Friday, December 07, 2007

Happy 1 Year Baby Tate!



So this is the last time I guess I can publicly call him my baby. I’m sure I’ll still call him that in person for the next 20 years, but after December 5, “the books” refer to him as a toddler. That’s going to take getting used to.

I figured it was fitting to do his final monthly block picture (yes, I’m retiring the blocks after 12 months) in the bathtub. This kid is crazy for his baths. He could be in the crabbiest, most tired mood and then the second you say the word bath and place him in the tub, pure joy takes over. If you look closely, you’ll see the waves in the tub. This is from the constant, constant excited kicking. We all get a bath when Tate takes a bath.

This past month did have some firsts. The first big boy haircut. I was putting off paying $15 for a kid’s haircut as long as I could. But, as you can see, the hair was getting a little crazy. Before:



After:



I wondered how he would do. The place we went to had a little car to sit in with a steering wheel. Well, his Daddy taught him a love for steering wheels a few months ago. Ever since then, if he sees one anywhere near him, he will lunge practically out of your arms to play with it. So, he was in heaven. The poor stylist. He was having so much fun and was in full leg-kicking motion, so it was hard to keep him still. I was impressed with how good of a job she did.

And of course, as the haircut was happening, I cried. It just made him look so much bigger and grown-up. The realization that my little baby was turning into a little boy.

Tate also had that infamous right of passage in the life of a little one…his first spaghetti dinner. As you can see, he liked it very much. The latest on food is about the same. Spoon with yogurt…yes. Spoon with much of anything else…no. I really don’t mind letting him feed himself everything, but it makes SUCH a mess. I’m looking forward to the day that he can learn how to eat from a plate or with his own spoon. Right now, those are just thrown on the floor.

This past month also allowed for a lot of cousin time. He and my sister’s little girl, Mallory, are exactly 6 months apart and are getting to the age that they can play with each other more. It’s pretty fun to watch. They also had their first cousin bath. You know, they’ll hate this picture in 16 years. Tate is also very excited to meet his new cousin Morgan soon. She should be here any day now.



He still loves to read books, go on walks, swing outside, listen to music, listen to Mommy sing goofy songs, clap his hands for everything, and play parachute under the bed sheets with Daddy. He repeated the word bird one day with me at the park. But, I haven’t been able to get him to say it again. He prefers his own language, and his “Tateish” sounds and noises are ever increasing. He also broke 4 new teeth this month. All at about the same time. That was a long week for us all.


His physical therapy is still going well. One night last week we put him to bed but could hear him talking and playing for quite awhile afterwards. I went in to see what he was up to. Low and behold, he was sitting up all on his own. He's been sitting up for quite awhile, but hadn't been able to get into the sitting position from lying down. As soon as he saw me, he started cracking up. It was too cute. Now, he’s a pro at getting into a sitting position on his own and loves for everyone to clap and cheer for him. We’re seeing a lot more movement and finagling his body around.

On the actual day of his birthday, we met the A-Team (we already have them destined to be Tate’s best friend/college roommate and future wife) in Southlake for a fun picnic lunch outside. It was a gorgeous day, and the kids and the Moms had a great time.



And this picture may look like the middle of a tantrum. No, this is Tate in the full-blown-I’m-so-excited-I-just-can’t-hide-it mode. Happy screeching, kicking, and arm-flailing…all for the outside fountain! The kid loves his water.

Then the big day was capped off with dinner and birthday cake at Mimi and Grandpa’s house. This cake experience started like the first time around, but with some nudging, he realized that it’s some pretty good stuff.


Before Tate was born, I had read so many parents talk about how much they loved their children. Honestly, I sometimes thought you were just supposed to say that kind of stuff. Wow, I had no idea. I love this little person more than I could ever imagine. And, it’s truly an unconditional love. Even when he throws up on me, doesn’t take a long enough nap, or whines all day from teething, I still love him. It’s a mystery, but one that I’m forever grateful.

I can’t thank God enough for the gift of this past year. This little boy brings a special joy to my heart like nothing else. I love seeing that already he has unique characteristics and a personality that is all his own. I hope that I can foster that and help him grow into that special person God created him to be. I can’t wait to walk alongside him and watch as he learns all about this world.

Bring it on year 2!

9 comments:

Shannon said...

I should be wrapping presents... Look at those 2 front teeth! They were barely there at his party! How fun.

Love all the pictures and love Tate!

Jennifer said...

I love the big boy haircut. Yes, that's a sad day when they get the first one and you see your baby slipping away with each snip.

Hope the 2nd year is as good as the 1st!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to Tate. I think you can call him baby as long as you want!

Monica said...

What a great post. You have had a busy last month full of first!! I have loved your block pictures. Oh what a fun little boy Tate looks like!! I think you can still call him your baby until he is 2!!

GliterallyScoot said...

Kelly, This was such a beautiful post. Mostly I think I don't want to have children of my own, even with me loving Katelyn and Joshua so much it hurts, but when I read stuff like this from mothers who love their kids so much and who can turn irritations like teething and development into joy, I stop and think... wow maybe some day I would like to be a mom. :-) Tate is so lucky to have parents like you and Wade. I can tell he brings you both great joy.

Phillips Family said...

What a precious toddler!!! Sounds like he welcomed year number 2 in with style.

I, too, feel great anxiety every time I pay $15 for a child's haircut.

Lisa said...

I always love reading updates on Tate. I think it's neat that our boys were born only two days apart. Tate's new big boy hair cut looks great (I'm not brave enough yet to get Alex's hair cut 'cause I know I'm going to get all weepy!) It is wonderful to hear that physical therapy is going well & that he surprised you by sitting up on his own. Hooray for Tate!!! I'm so jealous that Tate made a mess with his birthday cake - I was hoping Alexander would do the same, but he just wasn't interested. Well, here's to surviving our boys' first year - I'm excited to see what's in store for year two! We are truly blessed to have such amazing sons!

Too funny that our boys are the same size! By the way, I also have the same problem with pants for Alex... he needs a belt too!

ELSA said...

WHAT A CUTIE HE IS!

elsa said...

what an adventure family.but in my opinion a really unforgettable experience was the holidays at hollywood!