Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Sloooooooooooooooooow and Steady Wins the Race

Well I didn’t quite win the race, or even come close, but I finished! Woo-hoo!!!! Sunday was the big day, and the saying that “if you don’t like the Texas weather, just wait 5 minutes” proved true once again. Saturday – 80 degrees, sunny, warm. Sunday – heavy mist/light rain, windy, cloudy, 40 degrees. Lovely.

The roads were slick and my arms and hands were cold and numb, but I survived. My goal was to finish hopefully by 3:30. I actually finished at 3:26, so I was pleased. Yes, that’s 3 hours and 26 minutes. I walked the entire thing. It didn’t break records by any means, but at least I wasn’t the last one. Whew!

I’m glad it’s over. I’m glad I did it. I’m glad it’s over. Oh, I think I said that already.

And big props to the over-50 crowd! My Dad (on the left sporting the goofy—must be genetic—thumbs up) and his friend, Mark, both ran the half marathon and finished with some impressive times – 2:12 and 1:57. Not bad for a couple of baby boomers.

Also congrats to my friends, Laura and Mike, who finished as well. No pictures, since it was hard to spot them in the crowd of 11,000.

I don’t see another full marathon in my near future (at least until the small children stage of life is over). But, I definitely want to do another half. In fact, my favorite part of the entire race was taking that turn for the half route, while the fools (I mean fulls) had to keep going straight.

11 comments:

Shannon said...

Way to go!! Cracking up at the thumbs up line. You guys look cold!!

Sarah B said...

I'm super impressed - even with the walking! I don't think you have anything to be ashamed of with that time (I'm proud to do 30 min on the treadmill!) And way to meet your New Year's goals!

Jody said...

I AM SOOOOOOOO PROUD OF YOU! We will do it togethor someday real soon! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!

Janell

Anonymous said...

Hey way to go!

I feel a little cold just lookin' at that photo of you three! You rock!


When they come up with a marathon that goes:

walk a little, run a bit, walk some more

get in the car
drive aways
walk then sprint for a moment
rest
grab a burger and shake
then relax,
I'll be all about signing up.

Nice job.
Butch

Wade said...

Hey Babe,

It goes without saying how proud I am of you! It was so much fun being the spectator behind the fence watching you cross the finish line! I'm just glad I didn't have photographer duty this time! :)!

I love you!

W

Anonymous said...

Shannon and Butch,

We look cold because it WAS freakin ccccold when Wade took that picture!!

Kelly,

Way to go. I am very proud of you too. And thanks for the the plug -recognizing us "Over 50" Baby Boomers.

Dad

Phillips Family said...

Congratulations!!! I thought of you on Sunday as the weather took a nasty turn. At least you can mark this off your list!

Hope you have warmed up by now!

Krich said...

Wow!!! I am impressed!! Going that far is one thing, but in the freezing cold...ya'll are amazing!!!

Robyn said...

Congratulations!! You officially earn (and deserve) bowing and applause from me!

Shelley said...

WAY TO GO!!! (I came across your blog from other ACU Alum :) I also ran the half marathon on Sunday. It was freezing, but oh what a feeling, accomplishing a goal of 13.1 miles. GREAT JOB!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats again Kelly!!! Hey, and thanks for mentioning us...I feel special for making it on your blog :) Wish we could have walked together....maybe we could have pretended it wasn't cold!