Sunday, April 20, 2008

Book Review: Traveling Mercies – Some Thoughts On Faith


I had heard people refer to the author, Anne Lamott, here and there but didn’t know anything about her. I don’t know if all of her books are this way, but she is very open, honest, and real.

One of the reviews from the San Francisco Examiner and Chronicle said, “She is walking proof that a person can be both reverent and irreverent in the same lifetime. Sometimes in the same breath.” That is printed on the cover, so I think it’s a compliment, and it is a pretty accurate description.

This book is an easy read collection of essays on her faith discovery as she walks through different life experiences…serious alcoholism and drug addictions, her introduction to Christianity, learning forgiveness, losing friends and family, life as a single mom, and even getting dreadlocks.

Some of my favorite passages from the book:

“Man is born broken. He lives by mending. The grace of God is glue.”

“Who was it that said forgiveness is giving up all hope of having had a different past?”

“There are pictures of the people in my family where we look like the most awkward and desperate folk you ever saw, poster children for the human condition. But I like that, when who we are shows. Everything is usually so masked or perfumed or disguised in the world, and it’s so touching when you get to see something real and human.”


I will warn you that her writing is not like the typical #1 seller at your Christian bookstore, but that’s kind of why I also liked it…a different perspective. Some of it is pretty raw, blunt, and maybe even a tad uncomfortable. This isn’t a book that will teach you the latest trend in doctrine or Bible buzz.

But, her stories and faith transformation are inspiring, while at the same time, entertaining.

3 comments:

Jody said...

I meant to comment on your last post b/c I really liked it. I will have to look into reading this book. You know I love REAL people. Sounds good. I will keep you posted on the one I told you about today! : )
Enjoyed our time with the kids today.
Hugs,
Janell

Phillips Family said...

Funny, but I have heard about Anne Lamott recently as well and have been meaning to scoop up one of her books at the library. I will have to add this one to my reading list.

By the way, I read "Identical Strangers" (that was the name, right?) a few weekends ago and really enjoyed it.

Blogger said...

Did you know that that you can generate money by locking selected pages of your blog or site?
All you need to do is join Mgcash and use their content locking tool.