Tuesday, May 05, 2009

American Idol ~ Top 4

Rock Week. First off, I wasn’t a big Guns ‘N Roses kind of girl (gasp!), but I still couldn’t believe that it was almost 25 years ago that Slash and the guys started to make it big. I’m feeling older by the minute.

On to the duets. I thought that was a strange new twist to add. I would’ve much more preferred to add 30 minutes to the show and let each of the contestants sing another song.

Danny & Kris’s harmonies sounded great, but everything else about their duet made it seem like it was the absolute last place they wanted to be. Weird. Adam & Allison really did well together with a fun song. As far as Kara’s comment of “rock god and rock goddess,” that may be a little much.

So on to the Top 4. I have to say this first. The way I look at the show and who I think should win is not 100% about who I prefer the most. I’m a 33-year-old, SAHM, who saw ‘N Sync and Celine Dion in concert twice. I’m pretty sure I’m not the mainstream music industry’s target demographic. My views on the show are as to who is the best overall performer, artist, greatest potential, blah, blah, blah. All that to say…
Adam ~ By far the best this week. He looked crazy-creepy, and I would never download that song off I Tunes. But still. He was the whole package tonight. It was over-the-top, but not in the (quoting Simon here) self-indulgent way that last week was. This time it was over-the-top in a wild, rocker kind of way. Although, I would love to see at least one more song that is reminiscent of Tracks of My Tears. Still loved that.

Allison ~ I thought the Janis Joplin song wasn’t that bad. Not my favorite of hers, but not bad. I still can’t believe she just turned 17. I think she deserves to continue on.

Kris ~ Before the show started, I said that this might be awkward. I hope Kris doesn’t try too hard to be cool-rocker dude. I think he picked a perfect song for his style. I really thought it was pretty good. Not his best ever, but way better than what the judges said.

Danny ~ Oh how I wanted him to hit that last note. But man oh man, that was painful. My whole body cringed. He is not rocker guy (the glasses and vest proved that), so I wish he hadn’t tried to be with that song. What about Aerosmith’s Sweet Emotion instead? He is extremely talented (they all 4 are), and he will definitely have a successful career. But based on this week’s performance, I think he’s the one to go. It’s getting way harder to decide.

I think Danny should go home, but it could just as easily be Kris. Danny seems to have quite the following. Who knows? Tomorrow night should be interesting.

Finale is in 2 weeks…predictions?

3 comments:

Kate said...

Okay I didn't catch all of the show so I knew I could catch your re-cap. I did see Danny and was so anxious about that last note - when he finally "hit it" Mike and I just looked at eachother like, "really?"

I too think he should go this week...eventhough I prob think it will be Kris (sadly).

I thought I was the only semi-Alison fan but people are starting to come out of the woodwork. I just think her voice is outstanding for a teenager. Rock was definitely her gig last night (at least the duet).

Holly said...

I agree with your comments. It is probably between Kris and Danny tonight that will go and they are my favorites! Should be interesting.

elsa said...

summer holidays you are so lucky guys i am really looking forward for this tomorrow will be an excausted day the tripp day!!!i am not actually ready for this it s a long travel ok but i wish you will have more and more fun!!!