Thursday, May 28, 2009

Grandma Ellie





My grandmother passed away 8 years ago this week. My cousin recently discovered these pictures of her in the college days @ UC Berkeley. I just love the pictures and think they look like they came out of an old Life magazine.

I don’t know if it was the trip to California last month or what, but I’ve been thinking about Grandma Ellie a lot lately. She was such a fun person and had a true zest for life. I think it would be so interesting and fun to have conversations with her now. As a teenager and young adult, I was way too self-absorbed to take the time to have that kind of thoughtful communication. Since I’ve matured (hopefully!) with age and experience, I think I could appreciate even more the person she was.

She experienced hardship in her life and never let it stop her from having a positive attitude. Even after a leg amputation because of diabetes complications, she didn’t seem to let life get her down. She kept her sense of humor, her friendliness, and her sass! That is something we can all learn from.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Such a sweet post and great pictures, love it. I can relate to your thoughts. I wish I could have more time with my grandparents now, I would appreciate it so much more. Wish my kids could have known them to be able to remember them when they are older.

Shannon said...

Love those pictures and love Grandma Ellie! Sweet post Kelly, thanks!!!

Amy said...

love love love this post. my own grandmother ellie has been gone for a little over 7 years and i feel exactly the same way - i ache to have those meaningful conversations with her that i just don't feel like i could have had before i was a wife and mother. she also underwent a lot of hardship and always had such a great attitude and lived with such grace and dignity. if we can raise our little ellie to be half the woman my grandmother was, we'll all be doing good :)

would love it if you got a chance to raise your own little ellie someday :)

Contact Me for an appointment said...

What sweet memories you have! keep those alive as you tell stories to you Tate.