So it was horrible/perfect timing that Wade & I got to leave town for two days in early November. His belated birthday present was tickets to see the Counting Crows in concert in Houston. They came to Austin as well, but I decided we were too old for the standing-room-only venue. :)
So in the midst of stress & busyness, we dropped off the boys at the grandparents and got in the kid-free car for a 4 1/2 hour drive. Amazing that just that in itself can provide the right amount of undistracted communication to help you feel more connected almost immediately.
So many things about this very quick getaway made it great. The concert itself did not disappoint. Funny part is that in my mind it's young, hip people that go to concerts. I wondered if we would stick out as the token old people. Guess our musical tastes are a bit on the older side because we were by far 10 years below the average age there. It seriously cracked me up and made for some pretty great people watching.
And one of my favorite parts of the trip was staying with our wonderful friends, Matt & Tina. They moved to Houston a few years ago, and I miss them so much. We loved getting to catch up and even enjoying a dinner out together. Thank you for being such great hosts to us! :)
And an early-morning breakfast for Wade (I enjoyed sleeping late) with a dear friend proved to be one of those sovereign, just-what-we-needed moments. Thank you, Dave, for your friendship and always wise (and hilarious) words.
It had been close to 20 years (gulp) since I've been back to Houston, where I lived during junior high. So it was quite surreal going back. It was shocking to see how much the trees have grown and the area has been built up after not having seen it for years. We went by my old house in Sugarland, and I walked around the front sidewalk several times hoping someone that lived there would come out and let me take a peek inside. Wade sunk down in the car hiding from the crazy woman pacing the sidewalk.
I didn't get to see inside the old house, but I did further embarrass my husband by posing in front of my junior high's sign...while school was in session. :) Go Bobcats!
It was amazing how so many memories came flooding back. Since it was from junior high, most of the memories were the horribly embarrassing ones that scar you for life. But at the same time, I had moments of being thankful for that chapter in my life.
The trip went so fast, and we were back in the throws of our normal life before we knew it. But we came back renewed, refreshed, connected, and always thankful for this crazy journey and partnership we are in together.



.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment