2:00 a.m. I can't sleep. I guess it makes sense after the last few days we've had.
Before I go through the scenario, I'll give the ending away first. Our baby is doing great and is growing. We just had to go through 3 days of not knowing for sure.
Late last week, I received a surprise call from my doctor's office that they'd like me to come back in for another sonogram. The main sonogram technician reviewed my 20-week pictures and said she couldn't see the baby's 4th chamber of the heart.
Originally I assumed the call from the office was an issue with insurance paperwork. Not quite. The nurse tried to be very reassuring that it was probably just the way the baby was positioned.
But, the next 3 days were tough. In the back of my head, I knew the odds were working for this little guy, not against. I had just been in for a check-up, and heard the heartbeat. It sounded and measured good.
Surely, it was just like she said and it was because the baby was in a bad position. Although logic makes for the best argument there, it's hard to feel that everywhere else. I later told the nurse (in between muffled sobs of crying) that I've had a miscarriage, and I work for the American Heart Association (I hear these stories all of the time). Hopefully she could understand why this news/question is hard to hear.
So, 9:00 a.m. Monday morning comes around, and we headed back to the doctor's office. The news was good. Everything seems to be in place as it should be. Obvious relief and thankfulness.
So, I should be sleeping fine now? I guess the emotions of the day are still settling and keeping me awake. This experience made me realize how vested we are in this baby. This baby that we haven't seen, haven't heard, haven't held, haven't even named yet. But somehow, God is forming this little guy each day, and I seem to grow more attached and in love.
I am so thankful that the report was good and continue to pray that he will develop into the son that we hope for.
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
we are glad little strz is doing well too! we love you guys and hope you have a better night's sleep.
I am so glad baby got a good report.
Post a Comment