Tate was born at 8:10 p.m. on Tuesday, so it was a long 13+ hours of labor. I wasn't expecting that. Finally though around 5:00 or 6:00 p.m., things started to really progress and before I knew it, it was 7:30 p.m. and time to do the hard work. I was pretty surprised (and glad) at how fast that part went.
That moment that the doctor placed him in my arms really is an experience I can't even describe. I hope I can keep that memory clear and close forever. It made the aches and pains of pregnancy and the long day of labor all worth it!
Here's our first family picture. (**Disclaimer, this is after Wade and I had recovered from our blubbering crying. In fact, I had to pull out the make-up bag real quick to fix the face. I know that's high-maintenance, but I had gone into the "ugly cry.")

The next day and a half in the hospital went so fast. I quickly realized that when you deliver a baby later in the evening, you lose out of some hospital time. It was 1:00 a.m. by the time he was cleaned up, I was taken care of, and we were settled and moved into the new room. So, the next day was a little chaotic getting all of the checks, screenings, pictures, etc. Before I knew it, we were headed home. (Lesson learned: if you can arrange to have your baby earlier in the day, you'll get a lot more down time in the hospital.)
So here we are, home for the last 4 days. I pretty much just laugh (got to keep the sense of humor) every time I look at the clock. I feel like I'm in some type of time machine where the hours are being secretly sucked away. I have no idea where the days have gone. We've had wonderful family and friends providing lost of meals, groceries, and help. In fact, thanks to my Mom, there have been more home-cooked meals made in our kitchen this week than probably the past few months. Maybe having a baby will inspire me to learn to cook!?
Despite the long nights, total exhaustion, crazy aches and pains, this has been such an incredible experience. I am in complete awe and gratitude for this little blessing which God has entrusted us. I can't wait to learn more and more about this little guy.
Thank you for all of your prayers, well wishes, and encouragement. This has been such a good reminder of all of the wonderful family and friends we have around us. Wade, myself, and Tate thank you!

6 comments:
You were crying the whole time you were typing...weren't you? :)
We loved being with you guys over the weekend. I'm sure you were ready for some alone time after we all left, but we really enjoyed visiting little Tate. He is so sweet Kelly. I am so proud of you and Wade. Tate has a great mommy and daddy!
Kelly,
I am a friend of Wade's and have been reading his blog for a while and with the rest of the fans been anxiously awaiting little Tate. You put into words something that is so hard to understand if you haven't had a child. It is just amazing what all you feel and how you look at life now. Congratulations on an easy delivery. Although you will always remember the labor pains it is less and less as the time goes by and you get to cradle the result! :) May God bless you even more abundantly this next year with all the wonderful firsts you get to experiance with Tate.
Keri Melban
Oh, he is just precious. I love his green hat! What a great family picture. That one will always bring sweet memories back!
LOVE the picture in the green hat!
what a beautiful baby boy! so glad that everything went well and that you and tate are home safe and sound! i totally identify with the having a baby late in the day! nathan was born 4 minutes after midnight. what a night! it goes so fast after that! and you're so right about the clock. you look at it and go, there is no way! God bless you guys!
Thanks everyone.
I found that onesie and hat @ Old Navy...too cute!
And yes Shannon, I was pretty weepy as I typed the posting. :)
Post a Comment