Thursday, August 07, 2008

8-8-08

The DVR is set. The Olympics issue of Newsweek has been read. The normal evening activities will soon be put on hold. Bring on the Olympics.

I have always enjoyed the Olympics. And every two years Wade & I turn into TV junkies watching every minute we can of the competitions. Thank goodness the DVR will cut that time down a lot now.

I’m not sure what it is, because I’ve never played sports or am a very sporty person, but I love watching the athletes compete. You name it…swimming, diving, gymnastics, track & field, synchronized swimming (true talent), I love it all!

I love the drama. I love the music. I love the features of the rags-to-riches stories that make me cry. I love the medal ceremonies and hearing any national anthem, even if it isn’t ours. I love rooting for the underdog or watching the rock star prove why he’s that good (go Michael Phelps!). It is just fun.

Wade & I were talking about it this week and I had a funny childhood memory that I hadn’t thought about in years. Although her Olympic moment was before I was watching much TV, I LOVED the Nadia Comaneci story. I had the 1980’s made-for-TV-movie about her almost completely memorized. With the love of Nadia and the excitement of Mary Lou Retton’s gold medal in 1984, I decided I wanted to be a gymnast.

So to see if I had what it took, I set up an in-home vault. I would run down our long hallway that ended right at the back of the love seat. Then I would flip over the back and do a headstand on the cushions finishing it off with that trademark gymnast “ta-da!” I'm sure I did his at least 100 times (sorry about the couch Mom & Dad).

Even though my gymnastics classes the next couple of years did not prove to be my big discovery, the Olympics still got me to dream a little.

So to get you in the true spirit of the games, here’s one of my favorite Olympic moments of Eric Moussambani, who had only learned to swim eight months before his Olympic debut.



7 comments:

Phillips Family said...

We love us some Olympics here at casa de phillips. Four years ago we held an Opening Ceremonies party (before too many friends had kids) at our house and asked guest to come dressed as their favorite sport or athelete. well...one friend arrived on our front porch only wearing a speedo. I don't know if the neighbors have recovered yet.

Whitney said...

I wouldn't say I'm addicted to the Olympics by any means, but I do enjoy a lot of the summer Olympic sports! Esp gymnastics, swimming, basketball- but not so much track. ENJOY!

Shannon said...

I will pay for your pedicure if you will let me video you attempting the vault...seriously. It would be well worth the $30!!!!! At least on my end:)

Kristen OQ said...

I LOVED the Nadia movie too. I think I had it all memorized at one point in my childhood.

And true confession: When I drive up to my parents house in OKC, I always want to stop at the gym she has with Bart Connors there and meet them both. (FYI: there is a small story about them both too in People magazine this week)

McCulleys said...

I too am so excited about the olympics. We have all our little flags out watching the parade of countries. Very exciting in my family. And by the way, I also loved the Nadia movie. It was wonderful. My grandparents had a piano bench that we used as a vault. I could pretty much recite the whole movie. Those were good times. - Loved watching Tate walk. He is doing so good!

Lana said...

My sister and I watched the Nadia movie all the time as little kids. I was just thinking the other day I need to find it and watch it again. I so love the Olympics too:)

Anonymous said...

I totally had the Mary Lou Retton leotard!...long sleeve...American flag...
...pretty sure I vaulted some couches when my Mom wasn't looking too!