Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Kelly Green…Well Sort Of


I had been saying I should do it for awhile, but I finally gave in and bought some of Target’s reusable bags today. My oh-so-chic-and-green blog friends Jennifer and Lynley motivated me along.

So far, I’m impressed. This was a Super Target (groceries and the wonderfulness of regular Target items) kind of day, so what would normally be about 8 or 9 of the plastic Target bags fit perfectly into 3 of the reusable bags. And I loved how it was nice and compact in the back of the car…not flopping around everywhere and crushing the bread.

Now I do have to say that I will miss when all of my stashed-away plastic bags are gone. I’ve been reusing those to bag the really stinky diapers. If a true environmentalist is reading this, I’m sure they are protesting out of disgust…disposable diapers in a plastic bag! The landfills ache with the sound of those together. But hey, the Diaper Champ can only do so much.

Although today is one step forward in my greenness, I’m thinking the amount of wet wipes I’ve used to clean Tate and his love for yogurt has made a wash out of any progress I’ve made to better the planet. Just doing the best that I can!

7 comments:

Keri said...

I am impressed Kelly. Now my big issue would be that I would forget them when I went to the store! Even if I left them in the car.

Phillips Family said...

Yeah for you! I love the big Target reusable bags.

I still get plastic bags on occasion to reuse as diaper/icky trash bags. May not be the greenest thing ever, but at least I am reusing them.

Anonymous said...

Way to go on being green! Want a wipes tip? I use thin baby washclothes to wipe up Jackson---they work fabulous and I use one all day and throw it in the wash! No more wipes---at least for faces!
Laura M

Shannon said...

Way impressed. But, I'm with Keri. I'd always forget them in the car!! Worth a shot though.

Jennifer said...

you go girl!

I use washcloths instead of wipes when I can and we also use cloth napkins at dinner. Just little changes make a difference!

Whitney said...

Ok, I've been considering doing this- and I think you've just convinced me!

Linda said...

One of my favorite green things! :o) Good for you!!! I'm so proud.